Friday, October 17, 2008

Is Ozzfest Really The Third-Highest Grossing Concert Of The Year?

vinniepaul.jpg
Really? Third-best? That seems a bit high, no? (Roger Caldwell)

So the Morning News' main music blog posted this item earlier this week, and I've been trying to wrap my head around it ever since. Basically, it says that the top grossing North American concert of the year so far was September's ACL fest, which apparently grossed a whopping $11,767,838 in September.

But, even more surprising is the show that checks in at No. 3: Ozzfest, which grossed some $3,335,362.

Those numbers sound fine, I guess--a big jump in earnings from 1 to 3 notwithstanding--but I'm a little miffed by the fact that other big festival shows, namely Coachella and Bonnaroo and others like them, are nowhere to be found on this list, which is otherwise made up of Farm Aid and Neil Diamond (hey, he's here tonight!), Elton John and New Kids on the Block (hey, they're here on Sunday!) shows.

Unfortunately, the DMN blog didn't link to the Billboard list it's using as its source. And, even more unfortunately, I can't find another version of that list anywhere.

I get that Ozzfest was successful. Hell, I'm glad it was--honestly! I pretty much openly hoped that it would be (although I had my doubts). I'm a little taken aback by these stats. They seem off, no? --Pete Freedman

Original here


No comments: